Pixlr is an open-source online photo editor, which is able to perform much of the same functions as Photoshop free of charge. Best of all? No downloads – it works on the web! Here are some great Pixlr resources:
Pixlr Blog – great tutorials, info and more.
Squidoo’s Pixlr Page – great stuff!
How to Make a Banner with PIXLR – YouTube Video
Another great free tool is Sumo Paint.
Sumo Paint Help – Videos and help on every feature!
Most favorited images.
eduTecher’s intro to Sumo Paint.
Here is a great site with tons of Sumo Paint videos.
The Official YouTube Sumo Paint Channel.
How to edit photos in Sumo Paint.
Mark Brumley discusses Sumo Paint and other free editors.
Ideas for the Classroom for PIXLR and Sumo Paint:
- Let students retell their favorite story in digital form.
- Have students illustrate their own stories or essays to create a digital storybook.
- Have students take a picture, upload, then add layers to make it amazing.
- Upload or create a graphic organizer, then help the students create and drag layers to where they belong on the organizer.
- Use as an alternative to Noteshare for SmartBoard presentations!
- Wonderful for step-by-step teaching, such as an algebra problem (layering).
- Spatial relationships (3D effects).